Helping the Homeless is Simple & Easy this #GivingTuesday
What is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. This holiday is celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving and the shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Giving Tuesday kicks off the charitable season for most, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. This can be done in many ways from volunteering your time, donating money or by helping the homeless.
How to Help?
There are tremendous amounts of opportunities to be helpful all around you. Get creative in how you decide to give back, donating money isn’t always necessary. The holidays can be tough for many, so making that extra effort could mean everything in the world to someone less fortunate. To name a few, here are some ideas for #GivingTuesday:
- Donate your voice: Can you sing? Consider voicing your talent to warm the hearts at a local nursing home.
- Give them away: Clothes, shoes, toys, etc.
- Donate time: Try volunteering at a local non-profit
- Give blood: You never know when you can save a life.
- Donate part of your paycheck: Pick an unnecessary expense to snip out of your budget, instead donate that amount to a local charity.
- Helping the Homeless: Prepare “goodie bags” with food and basic hygiene items for homeless persons in your community.
Check out some of these Ideas & Case Studies to see how your family or organization can help out this year.
#MyGivingStory: Helping The Homeless
Once a month, InStore Design Display employees bring in a variety of items used to “stuff” care packages. We take the time to form assembly lines and take turns packing each bag. Once all bags are packed, employees are welcome to take the care package(s) and distribute to those they come across that are in need.
Helping the Homeless Item Ideas:
- Warm Clothing: Socks, Scarves, Sweaters, etc.
- Razors for shaving
- Granola Bars
- Easy open canned goods
- Gift Certificates to Fast food restaurants
- Water Bottles
- Crackers and Peanut Butter
- Informational literature specific to your neighborhood/community
Remarkably, in November our team filled and packed over 75 bags! Participation continues to grow each month for InStore Design Display’s Helping the Homeless event. More and more care packages are packed and distributed to less fortunate citizens of the KC area.
Finally, do you do something different to help out in your community? We would love to hear how you or your organization helped this #GivingTuesday in the comments below.